SRE - BIBLE CLASSES FOR KIDS
Southwest church of Christ is an approved provider of SRE in NSW public schools. SRE =Special Religious Education also known as scripture class. We currently teach SRE at Rosemeadow Public School, Rosemeadow and Blairmount Public School, Blairmount, we also have a combined arrangement overseeing SRE at Kent rd Public School, North Ryde. Please see below some links and information regarding what is required of us to be an approved teacher of SRE, what curriculum we will be using to teach and information regarding child protection, complaints and procedures.
To be an approved SRE teacher we are required to:
1. Complete an SRE teacher application form.
2. Obtain a current NSW Working With Children Check (WWCC)
3. Successfully complete child protection training using the Safe Ministry Program. This training is required for all teachers and ministers working in children and youth ministries and is updated every 3 years. Our teachers will also annually complete the Department of Education Mandatory Child Protection Training.
4. Complete the approved ICCOREIS SRE Basic Training Course, Modules 1-6. The training course we like is the Baptist Association of NSW & ACT for Basic SRE Training. Here is a link to their website: SRE TRAINING
5. Provide a letter to the school principal we are teaching at, which clearly identifies the approved provider and includes the name of authorised teacher(s), working with children check clearance number, date of birth and contact details. The letter is updated annually before the start of term 1 or as required.
Also, see SRE Teacher Authorisation Process
CURRICULUM WE USE
For Special Religious Education (SRE) in NSW schools the Southwest Church of Christ (non-denominational) uses curriculum by two approved series of workbooks called Connect and Godspace.
Connect is a three-year Religious Education curriculum designed for use in Australian and New Zealand schools. It is Bible-based and offers 20 lessons each semester at Infants (ages 5 to 7), Lower Primary (ages 7 to 9) and Upper Primary (ages 10 to 12) levels.
Godspace is a widely used in a joint denominational program in schools throughout NSW and Qld, other states, territories and overseas. Godspace is a three year curriculum designed to engage children in a relationship with God and his Word. The curriculum is organised around a yearly program designed to take children on a journey from little or no understanding into a deeper experience of God and his love for us.
CHILD PROTECTION - CONCERNS - COMPLAINTS
As a result of the ‘2015 Review of Special Religious Education and Special Education in Ethics,’ it is a requirement for all SRE Providers to have a Complaint Procedure in place. Please find below a copy of Southwest church of Christs Complaints Procedures and a Complaints Form. Also note that we provide SRE Coordinator contact details to every school we teach in.
ABOUT CONCERNS & COMPLAINTS
If your concern is about something that has happened in a specific SRE class, the best avenue is to approach the Scripture coordinator at the school your child attends. Every SRE class has a teacher from the school who sits in and observes/ supervises to make sure that children are cared for and that SRE teachers are meeting their obligations. The school will be able to ascertain whether anything needs to be addressed and bring those concerns to the SRE teacher involved. If required the issue will be dealt with through both the school and the Southwest church of Christ SRE co-ordinator. With a resolution as soon as possible.
We work hard to make SRE a positive experience for all children who participate and are committed to working together to make that happen. It is of utmost importance to us at Southwest that all children are respected, valued and safe within our lessons.
We ask for your prayers in this great work.